Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 22 2008




Got an early start and felt really good. I hiked in front and hauled ass compared to how I'd been hiking before. It was cool and breezy and I didn't even drink much water. We reached the cache at mile 91.2 at lunchtime, which was around 10 miles from where we camped. Last night around 7ish we were joined in our great little camping spot by Mary, aka Medicare Pastor. It was her first time on the trail after having had surgery on her knees. She is 66, and she was also wearing 'dirty girl' gaiterslike ours.
At the cache we met Bob, who is trying to finish the whole trail by July 22 for his granddaughter's birthday, and Casey from Ohio who is into healthy food like us -- he gave us a 'Rebar', which is like the bar version of a V-8 juice. After lunch we hiked a little slower, took a break and I gave Joanne a back rub. We saw a black and white striped snake & some horny lizards getting it on in the middle of the trail. We also found a cave along the trail that to me seems like a burial chamber of some sort -- its really only big enough to fit a body lying down, an it faces due east directly across from a gap between two hills. Casey camped with us, and says that the cave is known as "Billy Goat's Cave", after the first hiker to complete the triple crown. We shared some dried mushrooms with Casey in thanks for the veggie bar. My feet are Tired. Hopefully they'll feel better tomorrow. Joanne ate 3 whole Ramens, I struggled to finish 2. My appetite hasn't quite picked up yet.

No comments: